Parmigiana di Melanzane (Aubergine Parmigiana) is one of the most and loved Italian recipes all over the world. It is made by layering fried aubergine slices, tomato passata, fiordilatte and grated Parmigiano Reggiano.
Following the easy steps below and using our large aubergines are just perfect to make a state of the art Parmigiana!
Ingredients (4 serves):
500g Fiordilatte Mozzarella
800g Tomato Passata
150g Grated Parmigiano Reggiano DOP
A few basil leaves
Extra virgin Olive Oil
Sunflower Seed Oil
Grounded Black Pepper
1. Start washing and drying the aubergines, then cut them in slices thick about 4-5mm.
Tip: Aubergine slices have to be dried properly with kitchen paper otherwise they will release water whilst cooking. Alternatively you can place the aubergine slices in a large pasta colander or tray and add a pinch of coarse salt on top of every layer. Leave them to rest for about 1 hour to release water. Rinse them under running water and dry them.
2. Dice the fiordilatte mozzarella in small cubes and drain it.
3. Prepare the tomato sauce. In a large frying pan, add some extra virgin olive oil and the finely chopped onion. When it starts to turn golden brown, add the passata and cook for around 20 minutes.
4. Pour an abundance of sunflower seed oil in a frying pan and add a few aubergine slices and fry them for a couple of minutes. Once ready place them on the side and dry them with some kitchen paper; repeat the process with the rest of the aubergine slices.
5. Now you can put all the ingredients together. Start placing some tomato sauce on a deep tray to form the first layer. Add some aubergine slices, enough to fully cover the tray. Add some ground pepper, a pinch of grated Parmigiano Reggiano and some cubes of diced mozzarella. Finish adding some tomato sauce especially in the central area.
6. Repeat the same process until you get to the last layer. Finish covering the top layer with tomato sauce, mozzarella cubes, salt, pepper, Parmigiano and garnish with basil leaves.
7. Place the tray in the oven and cook at 200 celsius degrees fro about 40 minutes. Once ready, let it cool down for a couple of minutes before serving.